Civic Association of Smallwood, New York, Inc. 

Becoming a Member FAQs

Who can become a Member?

omeowners whose home is a freestanding single-family house* that is located within the boundaries of the Hamlet of Smallwood as delineated by the document known as “Boundary Map of Smallwood N.Y. for the Purposes of Membership in the Civic Association of Smallwood, NY, Inc.” (“Boundary Map”) are eligible for membership in the Civic Association of Smallwood (hereinafter referred to as the Association or SWCA).  The Boundary Map can be found at the bottom of this document, or here.

Additionally, Membership is limited exclusively to natural persons and testamentary or lifetime trusts.  Domestic or foreign corporations, limited liability companies and/or other legal entities are not eligible for membership.
*N.B. - The Town of Bethel Zoning Laws prohibit Multifamily Residential Dwellings in the zoning district known as the Smallwood Residential Zoning District, which is inclusive of the entirety of the hamlet of Smallwood.

I own property in Smallwood.  Can I join the Association?

If you own vacant land, then the answer is No.  If you own a house that meets the requirements as delineated above, i.e., a freestanding single-family house AND within the borders of the Boundary Map and can produce an executed deed with your name on it, then the answer is Yes.

Where can I get an application?

An application can be initiated online on this website by clicking here.

What documentation do I need to submit?

Proof of home-ownership in the form of an executed deed.  
(Utility bills e.g., NYSEG, Spectrum, are unacceptable, as they are not proof of ownership.)

Is there a fee required to submit an application?

Yes.  There is a non-refundable $250 application fee that, if the application is approved, will be applied to the Membership Initiation Fee.

Then what happens?

All applications are subject to review by the Board of Directors or a sub- committee designated for that purpose.

The Board of Directors reserves the right to decline applications for membership for any reason not barred by Federal, State or Local law.
No application for membership shall be denied due to actual or perceived age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, disability, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, sexual orientation, uniformed service or immigration or citizenship status.

What are the other fees associated with Membership?

There is a one time non-refundable Membership Initiation Fee and there are annual Membership Dues. *   The Membership Initiation Fee is earmarked for a dedicated fund, the Lake Capital Improvement Fund.

*There may be additional discretionary fees associated with usage of specific, but not all, facilities.

What is the Lake Capital Improvement Fund for?

The sole purpose of this fund is to ensure the ongoing environmental sustainability and health of Mountain Lake, its shoreline, beach, and dam. This fund enables the Association to set aside money for the repair and maintenance of the dam, beach and other facilities and infrastructure associated with the Association’s use of the lake.

How much is the Membership Initiation Fee?

The Membership Initiation Fee is presently $750.

Would I only have to pay a Membership Initiation Fee once?

Assuming that you never allow your Membership to automatically terminate due to non-payment of dues for an entire Membership year then, Yes, that is correct.

If, for any reason, my membership in the Association ends will my Membership Initiation Fee be returned or my yearly dues pro-rated?

No.  The Membership Initiation Fee is non-refundable as are the annual dues.

Thank you
for supporting
our Sponsors 

Civic Association of Smallwood, NY, Inc.
P.O. Box 151
Smallwood NY 12778
Contact Us